Site Map for Happy Camp News

Happy Camp News Archives

2001
Opening of the Bigfoot Scenic Byway
Happy Camp will be 150 years old in July
Origin of the name of Happy Camp
Wild Flower Season Has Arrived
First Annual River Run
Wild River Ride
Roadless Forests, Anyone?
Bigfoot Jamboree – 2001
Chamber of Commerce Installs New Officers
Fire in Happy Camp!

2002

To be restored soon.

2003

To be restored soon.

2004
Author Speaks To Local Writers Club
Happy Camp Residents Prepare
To Write Novels During November

Gun Control?
Los Angeles County Seal
Our Tree Lighting
Remembering electrical safety makes for happier holidays
Photo of the First Snowfall of Winter 2004-5
A Review Of: Protecting Children From Child Protective Services – By Alan L. Schwartz
December 2004 Pet of the Month

2005

Neighborhood Watch Duties and Procedures To Be Clarified
A Typical January – It Snowed
Advertising Options Reviewed At Special Happy Camp Chamber Meeting
Guidelines for Performing Yoga Exercises
Where Management Ends, Leadership Begins
How to Grow a Thriving Business
Great American Bigfoot Research Organization Team Visits Happy Camp
JavaBobs T-Shirt
Fitness for the Busy Family
Pet First Aid Seminar
The Gathering
Community River Walk
Legalize Gay Marriage
Etna Teen Joins International Gathering of Leaders
Grayback is OPEN!
Karuk Tribal Reunion
Bigfoot Sighting Near Happy Camp
Bigfoot — Imminent Capture Anticipated
River Run Motorcycle Rally
Brandon Tennant Visited Happy Camp
Brad Burns To Perform At The Siskiyou Golden Fair
More Local Bigfoot Activity
Happy Camp Mentioned on
Coast To Coast AM Talk Radio Show – Bigfoot Video-stream Planned

Home Country: How to Name Art – By Slim Randles
Karuk Tribal Head Start Accepting 2005–2006 Enrollment Applications
Bigfoot Videostreaming Will Feature Happy Camp
Chili Cookoff: Scott Valley Bank’s Annual Event Popular Among Locals
The Wooley Fire: Marble Mountain Wilderness
Home Country: Patronizing The Competition – By Slim Randles
Man Found In River
Speeding Leads To Drug Bust
Letters To Louisiana
Fleas: The Unwanted Guests In Your Home
Fire Restrictions Lifted
Art Prints For Home Decorating
Local Man Finds Wisdom In Happy Camp
You Don’t Have to Like Your Body to Love It!
Marijuana Gardens Eradicated
Home Country: The Lesson – By Slim Randles
Bigfoot Footprint Found Near Happy Camp
Do-It-Yourself Carpet Cleaning Tips
Bigfoot Video Cameras Are Down
Man’s Remains Found In Happy Camp
Four Easy Zucchini Bread Recipes
Happy Camp Mentioned On Ray Taliaferro’s Talk Radio Program
Young Man Arrested, Tragic Drug Problem Suspected
Home Country: Deeks – By Slim Randles
New Playground Equipment in River Park
Klamath National Forest Resource Advisory Committee Update
Pasta Recipes – The Very Best in Italian Cuisine!
Planning Stresss Management
Klamath National Forest Employees Receive State-Wide Recognition
Gas Fireplaces: Adding Warmth To Your Home
Thanksgiving Celebrated
Domingo Ramirez Is Still Missing
Warning To Happy Camp Dog Owners

2006
Klamath River Flood 2005-2006
Missing Janeen
Two More Drug Related Arrests
Klamath National Forest Roads, Trails, and River Access Points All Affected by the Flood
Klamath National Forest hires two Deputy District Rangers
An Organized Pantry
Elk Thin Project
Snow Survey Report
FEMA Is Coming to Happy Camp
Songbird Nature Trail and Campground Clean-up Day Successful
The Myth of Fast Weight Loss
Siskiyou County Resource Advisory Committee Seeks Members
Salamander Sandwiches – a Home Country column by Slim Randles
Could It Be… Fiction? – a Home Country column by Slim Randles
Insomnia – Getting The Help You Need
Are Weight Loss Supplements Useful?
Getting Ready – a Home Country column by Slim Randles
Siskiyou County-wide Interagency Narcotic Task Force Arrests Thirteen Happy Campers
Forest Highway 48 Road Between Cave Junction, Oregon and Happy Camp, California Is Open
Creative Thinking – a Home Country column by Slim Randles
Ghosts – a Home Country column by Slim Randles
How To Win The War – a Home Country column by Slim Randles
The Baby Sparrow – a Home Country column by Slim Randles
Red Cross Press Releases
Forest Fires – July and August, 2006
A Fish Story – a Home Country column by Slim Randles
Summertime In Happy Camp

2007

To be restored soon.

“From Hardship to Gold” reprinted by permission os Jim Part II

The second party of prospectors braving the wild country and tough Indians kept to the west and north sides of the Klamath River. Their travels took them along steep ridges and into scores of forested tributary watersheds of the Klamath River. (It must be understood that the forest was much more open then than now. White people the began suppressing wildfires in the early decades of this century. The Karuk people allowed forest fires to burn, even setting fire to areas that were getting too brushy. This burning allowed new sprouts of grasses and shrubs to grow, made travel better, made hunting easier and made spotting an enemy before he got too close more probable.)

This second party was headed for the Scott River. However, they must have traveled either through Seiad Low Gap into Horse Creek or went up Johnny O’Neil Ridge and down Hamburg Gulch. They missed the mouth of the Scott River. They traveled up the Klamath River as far as the mouth of the Shasta River, in Shasta Indian territory. It is believed that they wintered in the area soon to be called Thompson’s Dry Diggin’s; now known as Yreka. [Later research also told that this group was the combined groups of J. M. C. Jones & Ed Bean group that was joined by the Rufus Johnson group who also came up the Klamath River; and this combined group met up with Oregon Territorial Governor Joe Lane’s group in the Sacramento River canyon and wintered in the Redding area called Blue Tent Creek Camp.] Gold was found there, but the land was dry; a high desert land. In the early spring of the next year, gold was found in the ancient mixed soils of the valley bottom, including in the roots of the bunch grass.

The third party searching for gold in these mountains in 1850 included the man now known to have made the biggest gold discovery in the Klamath Mountain Province, John Scott. It is still uncertain exactly what route they took before finally ending up at Scott’s discovery site of nuggets at Scott Bar. (The largest nugget found in later years, found by Wade & Lindsey, was “…five inches long, three inches wide and weighed 16 pounds!”) It has been reported that his band of miners came inland from the port town of Trinidad in California. In the next several years, we know that supplies were brought to Scott’s Bar by way of Trinidad, Blackburn’s Ferry (Cappell Creek), and the wind-swept summits of the Marble Mountains. Later supplies were brought by pack trail (named the Kelsey Trail after the original trail builder W. R. Kelsey; mule packer) from Crescent City over the mountains of the South Fork of the Smith River, Bear Peak and the northern Marble Mountains to Scott Valley.

In 1851, the prospectors who had wintered near the Forks of Salmon, at Brizille Flat, lived through the winter pretty well. However, in the early months of spring they were surprised to see other eager and gold-hungry miners scurry into the Salmon River country. The new group crossed the Salmon Mountains before winter was really over. Spring snowstorms made life miserable for these hasty prospectors! As they waited for warm weather, they ended up eating all the stores of the miners already there. This was called “Starvation Times” in the Salmon River.

By July of 1851, the group of prospectors that had retreated from Wingate Bar, now being led by Captains McDermitt and Thompkins, (owners of Blackburn’s Ferry), moved from the Salmon River back up the Klamath River. They found very large amounts of gold in the gravel at the mouth of Indian Creek. They had survived the mountainous trails, the river fordings, battles with the Karuk Indians and some survived the “Starvation Times.” Now they had good food, warm weather and lots of gold nuggets! This gold-rich location, and its easy living circumstance, was named “Happy Camp!”

Addendum: at right is one of Jim Waddell’s aerial photos of the little town in the narrow and timbered valley of the Klamath River, c. 1991. The Klamath River is seen at the very bottom, Indian Creek heads into the river from the north at top; Indian Creek road is on the right side of Indian Creek and Buckhorn Road is on the left side of the creek.

Happy Camp aerial photo Northern California
Happy Camp aerial photo Northern California

New Pavilion for Bigfoot Jamboree 1997

Howard Garthwait was the President of the Happy Camp Coordinating Council which is the organizing body of tghe Bigfoot Jamboree.

In the front of the Blue Bigfoot Jamboree booklet a letter from Howard saying,
“It’s that time of year when the residnts of Happy Camp and the surrounding communities join in to recognize and honor BIGFOOT!


“This year’s activities are once again being held at the Happy Camp River Parfk where during the summer, the Happy Camp Community Services District has constructed a Paviliion is much needed and welcome addition to the park.
Among the usual Jambroee activities, such as live entertainment, concessions, …..

Winners in the 29th Annual Bigfoot Jamboree

As the President of the 1996 Bigfoot Jamboree, Rick Huston said that the Bigfoot Jamboree was a sucess because of the many volunteers who helped work and plan the annual Happy Camp event. Rick announced that volunteers are welcome to help prepare for next years Bigfoot Jamboree in Happy Camp.

Since the Happy Camp Chamber of Commerce Show and Shine was rained out in May, that event was postponed to the Bigfoot Jamboree. Seventeen cars and trucks were parked on the shady lawn of the River Park for the enjoyment of on-lookers. First Prize went to Billy Hibberts’ Transam. First place for the trucks was owned by Don Alexander of Yreka. There were also some motorcycles entered in the event.

Steve Zefault, Ivan Hude, Janeen Snopl and Rick Huston of the Happy Camp Chamber of Commerce were in charge of the Show & Shine and did a good job getting cars in the parade on Sunday also.

The Grand Prize in the Bigfoot Jamboree Parade was a group of active kids tumbling around, Tumbletown Tots. McCulley Logging celebrated 50 years logging and won first place in the commercial category, followed by Larry’s Market (2nd) and the Bigfoot that kept escaping and had gone to the forest before collecting his third place ribbon. Thanks Lance!

Howard Garthwait, Chairman of the parade said it was one of the bigger parades in recent years. Mike Polluck, Rusty Crocker, Dave Rasmussen and Ryan Rasmussen were the jusdges.

The Lioness Club in their poodle skirts and life size display picture of Elvis won first place in the nonprofit organizatgions. The Cub Scout Color Guard followed, in second, with the tallest Uncle Sam thanks to Jay Clark, postmaster. The Happy Camp Grange won third place.

Larry Wright Jr. flew the Red Baron plane for first place in individual entries. Second place was by the Happy Camp High School Class Reunion of the Class of “76.” Karuk drummers were drumming to keep the parade marching on and won third place.

American Legion Auxiliary No 530 ladies, in large hats with colorful ducks on them, were selling tickets. Sales were brisk in the sale of tickets to enter a colorful little “duck” in the Duck Race. First place winner of the $200 cash prize was Shirley Willis, second place was Dorothy Pence and third place was Alecia Derry. The last little duck across the finish line brought Edward Peters $20. Kim Seago won the beautiful necklace of locally mined gold from the Independence Mine area.

K.D. Peabody won fresh strawberries and jelly jars from Larry’s Market. Pauline Stacy won battery cables from Rick’s Auto Supply. Antoine won bait and tackle from Ron’s Bait and Tackle. Robert Spence won a wooden model duck from the Siskiyou House. Linda Kufner won a hibachi from the Karuk Building Supply

Preston Wilson and Ron Snopl each got five gallons of fas from Miller’s Unocal. Miller’s Unocal is the new station where the Happy Camp Chamber of Commerce recently held a Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting with refreshments. (Later to become Klamath-Siskiyou Art Center)

Jean Burnett won pan pizza’s from Headway Pizza and Kyle Stpockton won tanning lotion from Clinic Pharmacy. Deanna Indehar won a handmade hankie angel made by Linda Sutcliff of Happy Crafts. Mary Lauritzen and Maxine McCoy won an hour of labor from Dion Wood and Trevor Zediker respectively. Jean Marasco won a hand painted desert scene from Evans Mercantile. Gerri jacobsen and Larry Wright Jr.  won gas from Siskiyou Petrol Systems. Linda Zink won a cedar birdhouse from Renewable Resource Products. Adrian donated shampoo and conditioner from Hair We Are that was won by Edward Peters. A fun float trip for six down the river by J.J. of River Country Rafting was won by Kenny Seago.

The Auxiliary fundraising chairman Nida Johnson said a big “Thank You” to all the individuals and businesses that contributed and bought raffle tickets from the American Legion Auxiliary for this activity at the Bigfoot Jamboree. Judy Bushy, president of the Auxiliary, also thanked all who donated prizes as well as all the volunteers, especially those who splashed around in the river retrrieving little yellow ducks who had stopped to play!

 Reprinted from the September 26, 1996 Daily News by columnist, Judy Bushy.

 

History of the “Mythical” State of Jefferson

By Brian Helsapple
State of Jefferson slogans
If down our road you will travel, bring your own gravel.
Our roads are not passable, hardly jackassable.
The Promised Land: Our roads are paved with promises.

State of Jefferson Flag


Originally trappers working for the Hudson Bay Company ventured into our remote mountainous area in the early 1800s. Then in 1949 California’s second largest gold strike lured thousands of miners from across the nation to challenge the rugged isolation found in the real Northern California.

Those few who remained, staked small claims along the winding Klamath River and many of its tributaries. In the wider valleys, 100 acre homesteads were stepped off. For years the only path in and out was a trail that climbed the mountain behind Hawkinsville, descended down Humbug Creek and continued as a path along the south side of the Klamath River. A treacherous mid-connection also followed along the Scott River. Both were miserably muddy in winger and dusty, run filled dirt trails in the summer. Over which the vast amount of timber had to be transported ‘During WW! Strategic deposits of chrome and copper ores were hauled out. This simply deepened the ruts. The resources left our region to build up the big cities. No tax revenue was returned to the area to improve the trail.

The mythical State of Jefferson actually had its start in 1852. The bill to separate the North from the rest of the state failed to pass the California State Legislature. In 1953 a second failed attempt proclaimed: ‘Southern Oregon and Northern California presents a country of uniform character that is distinct from the rest of California and Oregon. It is necessary to form it into a separate state whose interests were fairly represented in the U.S. Congress.” The spirit behind separation was found in the miners of the far North. At the heart of succession lay better highways and bridges and the development of the vast mineral resources. For almost 100 years, Sacramento and Salem refused to recognize this isolated area. During that time, all the minerals and timber continued to be transported out over trails that were hardly passable by goats. With no tax revenues returned, the citizens justifiable felt betrayed and “double crossed.”
During the fall of 1941, Mayor Gilbert Gable, of Port Orford, Oregon, once again ignited the succession movement. “A spark of rebellion struck fire instantly in the woodsy canyons of the border country.” The Yreka Chamber of Commerce voted to form a 49th State. The Siskiyou Daily News announced a, “name the state” contest.
“Jefferson” was selected. Mayor Gable trickled publicity to the wire services; “Jefferson would be free of obnoxious taxes, no sales, income or liquor taxes…
On Thursday, November 27 and every Thursday thereafter, The State of Jefferson Citizens Committee (members of the Yreka 20-30 Club) voted to barricade the North-South road, 263. They stood with rifles next to bonfires and barrels of burning kerosene, passing out yellow handbills to the few automobiles going by. One of the miners had drawn two X’s on a gold pan that symbolized the “double crossed.” It quickly became the state seal.
The San Francisco Chronicle sent Stan Deleplane, to go up Highway 99 to Yreka, “wherever that was” to do a series of articles. These were to provide some relief from the impending war headlines. In Yreka a garage man explained to ‘Deleplane that the roads were so bad that folks can hardly get out. Unfamiliar with the route conditions at the time, Deleplane headed down the Klamath River Road, attempting to get to Port Orford to interview Mayor Gable. He made it to Happy Camp where he was stranded for three days because the good dirt road ended and the road over to Oregon was impassible. He had to travel back to Yreka and over to Medford to get to the coast. Mayor Gable unexpectedly died the day after the interview
Prose and publicity had a nation watching. The second succession Thursday found the narrow streets of Yreka being covered by four newsreel crews. The small parade of shivering participants of needed to be prodded into action. A somber candlelight parade at twilight defined the final hours. The succession movement had lost its impetus, but officially ended three days later when Pearl Harbor was bombed
With World War II came orders from Washington to the state of California to create a passable road to get the strategic minerals out. This resulted in the present connection at 263 where it passes the Klamath River. The new Highway 96 would be blasted out of rock and built on the opposite North side of the River from its historical location. The original road remains passable but still unpaved today. Remember all the tonnage for WWI and almost half the total for WWII which snakes over Humbug. This route is visible if you stop at an overlook just west of Tree of Heaven Campground.
A total of 2.305 of chrome from Seiad Valley was hauled out, and thousands of tons of copper from Happy Camp. Millions of logs moved over the old route during peace time.
THE PRESENT
Though the original 49erswere very thorough. Some trace amounts of gold claim to be found today by recreational gold miners using suction dredges. As usual, gold miners do not openly brag about their strikes or locations. Much more recreation gold waits to be explored.
The Klamath River is one of the major sites of seasonal spawning runs of King Salmon and Steelhead.
In the 1930s Herbert Hoover spent many seasons enjoying the river and made a yearly charitable donation to the Honolulu school built on the Kannaka Bar, to provide the children with hot meals between Empire and Lumgrey Creeks. The lure of fishing kept most of the motels and small stores alive and attracted many people to build vacation homes.
In recent times the fish populations have been heavily impacted by many factors affecting their habitat, including eight years of drought. While fishing recovery will take time, other opportunities to explore the area have increased dramatically. Mining, logging and forest management practices all have contributed to a large system of roads that provide almost unlimited access to the quiet forest/
These roads wait patiently to be driven, hiked or mountain biked without the fear of noisy logging trucks careening over them. Seasonal mushroom pickers and deer hunters as well as forest biologists and tree planters tend to be the only traffic. Usually the only evidence of others is a parked pickup
In the million acres of forest you will discover new generations of wildlife that may never have seen a human; bear, bobcat, mountain lion, grey squirrels and chipmunks and thousands of birds and bats. Owl’s willll lull you into sleep beneath a blanket of a billion stars. At dawn, particularly in spring, the area becomes alive with some 222 species of resident and neo-tropical birds that choose this forest to produce their offspring. The pure air is filled with pine tree aromas laced with forest floor mushroom scent. During spring, the lush green conifers are splashed with a multitude of flowers. In fall, vibrant red and gold colors signal time for deciduous leaves to go to sleep forever. The Klamath National Forest has four definite seasons, but none that are extreme.
Easy access to six uncrowded campgrounds can be found along Highway 96. The side roads of Scott River, Grider, Indian Creek and Curly Jack, each offer more remote sites for camping. One of the least visited is Grider Creek, it marks the location of the Pacific Crest Trail that gives hikers access to the Marble Mountain Wilderness Area. Traveling to the campgrounds you travel a stretch of the Klamath River that oftentimes finds a resident bald eagle perched on its traditional pine tree looking for a target. Sometimes it can be seen standing in the water upstream of the shallow island below. This road still resembles the wagon trail our pioneers trekked along to get to a ferry that crossed over to reach Seiad Valley. From this view can be seen a vast amount of gold tailings resulting from a 1940’s bucket line gold dredge operation.
Back on the State of Jefferson Scenic Byway, Osprey, woodchucks, Canadian Geese, Common Mergansers and River Otters are easily viewed from many elevated turnouts all along the route. Deer and Bear can often times be seen crossing the river to get to the fruit trees in people’s yards or just the other side of the river A river that waits to be rafted and played in or perhaps just paused beside to hear its song. Venturing into this land you can discover the pleasure and beauty its isolation provides. Here resides absolute peace, solitude and serenity, perhaps the real meaning and clue to the State of Jefferson.
Highway 96 was officially named the State of Jefferson Scenic Byway in 1992. This roadway travels alongside the river to Happy Camp. The byway then continues over Greyback (4500 feet) to O’Brien and Highway 199. Snow blocks this part of the Byway in the winter, sometimes nearly until June.
The southwest part of Highway 96 was named the Bigfoot Scenic Byway. Beyond Happy Camp, Highway 96 continues to follow the Klamath River to Weitchpec. Highway 96 continues on to Willow Creek and 299. Along, g the way you will discover the Klamath National Forest Six Rivers National Forest, Marble Mountain Wilderness and the south portions of Rogue River and Siskiyou National Forest.

Our Log Memorial High School 1933

loghs1902
by Judy Bushy
The Log Memorial Building on 4tth Avenue & East Street is an important part of Happy Camp’s History. It shows how one man with a vision of giving the young people of Happy Camp an education, and enlist the support of many community members that out of the unity of working together towards that purpose, great things could be accomplished. Times looked bleak in 1933 and the country was in the great depression, but that obstacle didn’t stop the community from completing a high school in Happy Camp.

In 1922 Gorham Humphreys had started a school for Happy Camp Students that included the first two years of high school. The classes were held at the local grammar school. Mr. Taylor was the school’s first teacher. He was followed by Miss Rudd, who taught for four years. The two year course was discontinued in 1928 for about three years, according to Justice Court Judge Philip Toleman. He was speaking at a dinner served by high school home economics department.

Humphreys obtained re-establishment of the two year high school after campaigning at his own expense to the district board. There were about 30 students then and they needed a four year course and a separate place from the grammar school which was also overcrowded. On March 3, 1933 with all the banks in the country closed and the depression in full swing, Gorham Humphreys, Dr. Mason and Judge Toleman presented to the district board the Grange plan to get the people together to build a school for Happy Camp. Toleman said that, “the board had a really a tough row to hoe, taxpayers were broke and appeared to request all expenditures be cut to the bone.” Still, Ed Kaupp of Mt. Shasta helped turn the board in favor of the project and they promised $500 for the purpose.
Bert Newton donated the land, helped build the Log High School and lost his life due to illness contracted when serving at a school activity. Bert Newton had started freighting with horses from Hornbrook to Klamath River points in 1910. From 1919 to 1930 he carried mail and parcel post from Hornbrook to Happy Camp, burying freighter franchises from Walter Bower and George Howard. By 1927 a new era had arrived—the automobile was replacing horses everywhere. So that spring he turned 57 head of stage horses loose with a herd of wild horses on the Bogus Range. He couldn’t even give them away!

Meanwhile, in 1920, he and his partners, his brother I.S. Newton and Harry Pence, had purchased most of the unimproved land in Happy Camp, erected a store, some cabins, a campground and a saw mill. He built the first building on what is now the Happy Camp Ranger Station at 2nd Avenue and Airport Road, and leased it as headquarters to the Forest Service for many years. The Log High School was then where the present high school is located.

Gorham Humphreys initiated the idea of the high school building and must have been able to convince many in the community of the value of proceeding to build, as it seems the community worked together with uncommon unity.

Logs for the new log high school were donated by the Forest Service and cut under the direction of Bob Titus. Toleman was in charge of the building operations. Milt Fowler set the foundation forms. Gravel was hauled by Ralph Gordon. Pete Grant, Mike Effman and others chopped notches in the logs. When things got “bogged down” in August (of 1933) men weren’t able to come when needed and a few forgot that they had pledged a certain amount of labor and many in town thought maybe they had “bitten off more than we could chew…” That is when the women of the Grange put on a couple of noon picnics to get a large group together to put on thee roof. Other women encouraged the work on optimistically. Ora head (Mrs. Guy Head) encouraged the workers to stay with it, urging all to remember that “Rome wasn’t built in a day>”

In September, two large classrooms were ready for Mr. Lowe and Miss Fite, the teacher, to begin classes. The people of Happy Camp had built a high school for education of its young people with only about $1,000 from the District Board.

In November of 1933 a dedication was held. At that time, Toleman said, “we were hearing a lot about the age of rugged individualism that was past. At this time I would like to say that it was that spirit, combined with a will to help each other that did the job. And in passing I believe that it is proper to note that the teachers who lead in the education of our youth and who at times may wonder if their efforts are really appreciated cannot help but feel that the answer is YES, when they have occasion to work in or even hear of a high school that has grown under the conditions that this one has here in Happy Camp.”

The first graduating class in 1935 included Mae Barney, Marshall Vanhoy, Ruth Baker, Robert Humphreys, Nina Sedros, Edna Fowler, Paul Good, Geraldine Titus, George Logan and Florence Sutcliffe.

Gorham Humphreys must have felt great happiness when his son, Robert was one of the first graduates of the school. He had seen a need for a high school and enlisted others to work with him to bring his vision to reality. Several children had died but his surviving four daughters and son had a great example of a father concern for their education. Of his daughters, Bertha married Tom Carter who was Forest Ranger. Viola became a nurse, Aurelia was a teacher and Hazel went to college in Marin County and then married Finley Joyner. The son, Robert who graduated in 1935 died in Italy on the last day of the war in Europe.

Eventually a new high school building was needed. The principal, Arthur French, said “For two and one-half years teachers and equipment have been crowded together into 2,400 square feet of floor space.” The new building was expected to cost $438,000 and the bond bill was to be voted on according to the April 16, 1955 Klamath River Courier. “The new facility provided large modern home economics room and a complete science room. It would also allow development of a commercial department and library.” Dr. Jere Hurley, Superintendent of Siskiyou County’s Joint Union High School District gave the speech dedicating the new building to “the principles of democracy and the constitution of the United States, to all students –past, present and future.” Short addresses were also given by Sharon Titus, Carol Evans and Gene Erskin of the High School Student Board.

The old Log Memorial Building was to be moved to another site, and perhaps used for a library or museum. It was believed to be the only high school building constructed of logs still in use at the time. When “Old Timers” look at the Log Memorial Building they recall how the whole community united in the effort to bring education to our children.. It’s amazing what can be accomplished when we work together toward our goals!

1 58 59 60 61 62