Klamath River Veterans Meet Saturday at 10 a.m.

Tim Grenvik came to the Family Resource Center (FRC)Thursday to meet with eight or nine veterans. Tim is the Veterans’ representative for Siskiyou County helping them get organized as a group. The objective is to serve the Veterans in Happy Camp.

Since we no longer have American Legion or Veterans of Foreign War we haven’t had programs at the cemetery or Flag Day, honor guard for funerals, and similar patriotic days. It would be wonderful for this group to be able to pick up some of those types of activities.

Veterans are welcome at 3 o’clock on the second Thursday of each month at FRC when Tim Grenvik is here. The other local veterans will meet weekly at 10 am on each Wednesday at the Family Resource Center on 38 Park Way.

Rebuilding the Happy Camp Chamber of Commerce

Cat manned the Suggeestion Box!

Dinah Sulipeck celebrated her 66th birthday at the Grange Friday with the help of many old and new Chamber members, friends and neighbors along the Klamath River. What fun it was to share a spaghetti dinner made by Robbie Collum. Thank you, Robbie for your considerable time and effort. After some had seconds, it was time to sing Happy Birthday to Dinah and tackle that giant chocolate cake. Even got some sample music thrown in by Lou Sr.

Dinah had some words to share as president. I haven’t known Dinah long, but really appreciate her encouraging good will. It was fun to celebrate her birthday, too. She reminded the Chamber of the Mission Statement, The Happy Camp Chamber of Commerce’s mission is “to promote and encourage business, commerce and quality of life for the citizens of Happy Camp and the Highway 96, Klamath River Corridor.” Businesses all along 96 are welcome.

board serves spaghetti dinner

Chamber Board Members served Spaghetti Dinner for January.

Locating and restoring the Heart of Klamath banner that blew down was discussed. Following Dinah’s report, James Buchner gave a complete Treasurer’s Report. Good news is there is a credit on the telephone bill. Sad news is the Chamber is broke, but memberships are coming in to remedy that problem.

Secretary Cathleen Searle told of how she had come up with a membership list from a brochure and website and asked help in clarifying situations. Anyone wishing to work together in “Community Unity” toward the above mission statement is welcome. The Chamber returned dues to $50 and including 2 additional months if you sign up now. The Chamber telephone was changed to voice mail answered by the president and secretary. Terry Winslow has also offered to answer the phone.

Pete Winslow asked how many had gotten e-mails about the meeting and what we can do to get messages to others who may also have an interest in the mission of the Chamber. Pete offered to send a monthly newsletter. First was sent January 3rd but some couldn’t open it. Pete will send it in the body of a message ”but it won’t look so fancy!” To be notified, send him your e-mail, info@happycampchamber.org.

The Advertising Committee Report was given by James on the map and directory in the works for several months. Ads on the map will be available on a first come first served basis, but there will be a list of all members also. This membership brochure will be completed in March for April printing. The Board asked the gathering for input in dealing with the missing www.happycampchamber.com website. Dinah renewed the name with Go-daddy but who is the host? Restoring it hasn’t been accomplished yet. The members were very concerned about it. Lou Tiraterra, Sr advised to set aside previous mismanagement and proceed, so Treasurer will arrange for a new site with a company Kirk Eadie recommended.

To think that it all started when Cathleen was guest speaker in November on “community unity!” Several expressed the desire to forget the past, rebuilding trust and going forth with the new Chamber of Commerce to serve the members and our community on the wild Klamath River. Next meeting was set for February 1st at Elk Creek Campground and then all pitched in with cleanup and putting up chairs together. That Chamber can really work together and accomplish a lot quickly!

Happy Seniors All Set for the New Year!

Happy Seniors!

The Log Memorial Building was decorated and the tree stood at the front of the room.

Before the festivities, the Happy Seniors thanked the officers of the past year and asked them to continue to do the great job that has been done in the past.

Friday, December 17th was a special get together for the Happy Seniors. They enjoyed a great potluck (best pot pie I’ve ever tasted!) and lots of other yummy things to eat! They tended to business first, reelecting President Anita Wolf, Vice Presidents Carol Day and Charley Fehley. The Secretary will continue to be Jeanne Burrer and Treasurer Pauline “Sis” Attebery. Maxine McCoy will serve again on the building committee. When the officers were installed, the BINGO games began.


Klamath River, Kayaking, Happy Camp

Siskiyou County unemployment would be worse if one in nine employees didn’t serve the tourists visiting us. At a recent Tourism Workshop, Grace Bennet told about coming changes at the Colliers Information and Interpretive Center on I- 5. Have you stopped by and seen it lately? If you recall, it had displays with the nine cities as well as county information. Those displays will be changed, modernized, and converted to flat screen display. This will enable the county website to be shown. as well as allowing visitors to check out websites of other local attractions or businesses in our area.

Colliers Information & Interpretive Center is busy with 10,000 or more visitors a month in the summer, but they are open 7 days a week for 8-9 hours a day. Right now they get a great many requests about hunting, especially the elk and deer, and also ducks to the east of us. They’ll even have e-cards, modern Internet versions of old post cards, to send to friends and family to tell them how beautiful Siskiyou County is!!

If you haven’t been to the new county website recently, go and visit the site at www.visitsiskiyou.org/. It will tell you about fishing, kayaking, rafting, mountaineering, ice or lava caves, golfing and other tourism activities we enjoy here! It also has information on events, such as McCloud’s Annual Oktoberfest last week. Participants not only dressed in native German costumes to show off traditional old world dances but also dish up tasty traditional German fare including Sauerbraten with red cabbage, mashed potatoes and gravy, harvest lentil soup and bread, and dessert.

Emilyn Sheffield came from CalState about fifteen years ago to help us with marketing the State of Jefferson and Bigfoot Byways. Karen Whittaker and Bob Warren from Shasta Cascade Wonderland Association reminded us of Emilyn’s visit to Happy Camp. They were also telling accomplishments of their organization and requesting more photos and videos of our area to help them get tourists here from all over California.

Bob and Karen share lots of their efforts with Jonelle Tannahill of the California Travel and Tourism Commission from Sacramento. Jonnelles job is to represent all of California, including Happy Camp. Travel has expanded from the small family on vacation and they see more groups. Visitors to our area come for the beautiful pristine environment not found elsewhere. There was a specialized campaign for people wanting adventure “who are willing for their SUV to get dirty but not scratched.” They like adventure not too wild! Australian, German, Canadian and British are international visitors who love to travel to Northern California. The Europeans love National Parks and nature tours such as birding.

Jonelle and Karen both said a great deal about the Volcanic Byway, perhaps because that byway received thousands of dollars in grants for publicizing it as an All American Byway! They both also shared about how effective it is to have a trailer to go to events, like the Gilroy Garlic Festival where they handed out thousands of pounds of literature to promote an area for visitors. Happy Camp’s Chamber had a trailer for that purpose, but no one seems to know what happened to it a few years ago. Jonelle and Karen have much to offer us in terms of cooperative assistance for tourism. Some local hoteliers are discussing getting together for collaborative marketing for tourism as a district, with open meetings, Brown Act procedures, posting agendas, and discussing issues on the agenda much like the old Associated Chamber did with TOT taxes.

One in every nine jobs in Siskiyou County is in the tourism industry. We have people needing all the jobs we can create! We need to be encouraging tours to this most beautiful place along the wild Klamath River! We live with great beauty all around us.

Our Log Memorial High School – 1933

by Judy Bushy

The Log Memorial Building on 4th Avenue & East Street is an important part of Happy Camp’s History. It shows how one man with a vision of giving the young people of Happy Camp an education could enlist the support of many community members. Out of the unity of working together towards that purpose, great things were accomplished. Times looked bleak in 1933 and the country was in the great depression, but that obstacle didn’t stop the community from completing a high school in Happy Camp.

In 1922 Gorham Humphreys started a school for Happy Camp Students that included the first two years of high school. The classes were held at the local grammar school. Mr. Taylor was the school’s first teacher. He was followed by Miss Rudd who taught for four years. The two year course was discontinued in 1928 for about three years, according to Justice Court Judge Philip Toleman. He spoke at a dinner served by the high school home economics department.

Humphreys obtained re-establishment of the two year high school after campaigning at his own expense to the district board. There were about 30 students then and they needed a four year course and a separate place from the grammar school which was also overcrowded.

On March 3, 1933 with all the banks in the country closed and the depression in full swing, Gorham Humphreys, Dr. Mason and Judge Toleman presented to the district board the Grange plan to get people together to build a school for Happy Camp. Toleman said that, “the board had a really a tough row to hoe, taxpayers were broke and appeared to request all expenditures be cut to the bone.” Still, Ed Kaupp of Mt. Shasta helped turn the board in favor of the project and they promised $500 for the purpose.

Bert Newton donated the land, helped build the Log High School and lost his life due to illness contracted when serving at a school activity. Bert Newton started freighting with horses from Hornbrook to Klamath River points in 1910. From 1919 to 1930 he carried mail and parcel post from Hornbrook to Happy Camp, buying freighter franchises from Walter Bower and George Howard. By 1927 a new era arrived—the automobile replaced horses everywhere—so that spring he turned 57 head of stage horses loose with a herd of wild horses on the Bogus Range. He couldn’t even give them away!

Meanwhile, in 1920, he and his partners, his brother I.S. Newton and Harry Pence, purchased most of the unimproved land in Happy Camp. They erected a store, some cabins, a campground and a saw mill. He built the first building on what is now the Happy Camp Ranger Station at 2nd Avenue and Airport Road and leased it as headquarters to the Forest Service for many years. The Log High School was then where the present high school is located.

Gorham Humphreys initiated the idea of the high school building and must have been able to convince many in the community of the value of proceeding to build, as it seems the community worked together with uncommon unity.

Logs for the new log high school were donated by the Forest Service and cut under the direction of Bob Titus. Toleman was in charge of the building operations. Milt Fowler set the foundation forms. Gravel was hauled by Ralph Gordon. Pete Grant, Mike Effman and others chopped notches in the logs. When things got “bogged down” in August (of 1933) men weren’t able to come when needed and a few forgot they had pledged a certain amount of labor. Many in town thought maybe they had “bitten off more than we could chew…” That is when the women of the Grange put on a couple of noon picnics to get a large group together to put on the roof. Other women encouraged the work on optimistically. Ora head (Mrs. Guy Head) encouraged the workers to stay with it, urging all to remember that “Rome wasn’t built in a day!”

In September, two large classrooms were ready for Mr. Lowe and Miss Fite, the teachers, to begin classes. The people of Happy Camp had built a high school for education of its young people with only about $1,000 from the District Board.

In November of 1933 a dedication was held. At that time, Toleman said, “we were hearing a lot about the age of rugged individualism that was past. At this time I would like to say that it was that spirit, combined with a will to help each other, that did the job. And in passing I believe that it is proper to note that the teachers who lead in the education of our youth and who at times may wonder if their efforts are really appreciated cannot help but feel that the answer is YES, when they have occasion to work in or even hear of a high school that has grown under the conditions that this one has here in Happy Camp.”

The first graduating class in 1935 included Mae Barney, Marshall Vanhoy, Ruth Baker, Robert Humphreys, Nina Sedros, Edna Fowler, Paul Good, Geraldine Titus, George Logan and Florence Sutcliffe.

Gorham Humphreys must have felt great happiness when his son, Robert, was one of the first graduates of the school. He had seen a need for a high school and enlisted others to work with him to bring his vision to reality. Several of his children had died but his surviving four daughters and son had a great example of a father’s concern for their education. Of his daughters, Bertha married Tom Carter who was Forest Ranger. Viola became a nurse, Aurelia was a teacher and Hazel went to college in Marin County and then married Finley Joyner. The son, Robert, who graduated in 1935 died in Italy on the last day of the war in Europe.

Eventually a new high school building was needed. The principal, Arthur French, said “For two and one-half years teachers and equipment have been crowded together into 2,400 square feet of floor space.” The new building was expected to cost $438,000 and the bond bill was to be voted on according to the April 16, 1955 Klamath River Courier. “The new facility provided a large modern home economics room and a complete science room. It would also allow development of a commercial department and library.” Dr. Jere Hurley, Superintendent of Siskiyou County’s Joint Union High School District gave the speech dedicating the new building to “the principles of democracy and the Constitution of the United States, to all students –past, present and future.” Short addresses were also given by Sharon Titus, Carol Evans and Gene Erskin of the High School Student Board.

The old Log Memorial Building was to be moved to another site, and perhaps used for a library or museum. It was believed to be the only high school building constructed of logs still in use at the time. When “Old Timers” look at the Log Memorial Building they recall how the whole community united in the effort to bring education to our children.. It’s amazing what can be accomplished when we work together toward our goals!

1 3 4 5 6 7